[Talk-GB] Urban Mixed Access Ways and Barriers (restricted to motor vehicles, open to foot)

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Sat Sep 7 20:41:43 UTC 2013

OpenStreetmap HADW wrote:
> In practice, there is only one renderer for general users

That's a statement that could provoke some discussion, I suspect.

If you have a look at the questions on help.osm.org you'll see lots of
"why doesn't X do Y" type questions, but it isn't always immediately
obvious what X is. Sometimes it's one of the four main layers on
www.osm.org, but if so very often it's the Cycle Map rather than the
"standard" layer.  Sometimes the question is asking about some
completely different website that uses OSM data, and very often it's
about a mobile application with no connection to OSM whatsoever except
that it uses OSM data.  Then there are all the "backgrounds for data
representation" that use OSM data (http://www.whitehouse.gov/change ,
Apple iOS iPhoto, sundry information boards on poles around the world).

I don't know which is the most-viewed rendering of OSM data (either by
counting pairs of eyes, or by measuring time).  It's actually a very
interesting question, but the answer's not straightforward.

Cheers,

Andy