[Talk-GB] iD and accidental landuse deletions

Ed Loach edloach at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 08:56:00 UTC 2013

Lester wrote:

> It would be MUCH safer if you had to pick the boundary to select
it!

But much harder to use for areas that share the boundary ways with
an adjacent area. You'd have to resort to the / stuff that Potlatch
uses or middle-click for JOSM (or whatever).

New mappers are likely to make mistakes whatever editing software
they use. Even if it is always a small percent, the rate OSM is
growing that small percent represents a growing number of errors to
notice.

I'm not saying that there aren't ways to reduce the risk of large
areas disappearing, but I don't think having to pick a boundary way
would improve the usability of iD, and encouraging more people to
edit regularly with an easy to use editor is worth currently having
to reinstate the occasional landuse area in my opinion.

Even experienced editors using unfamiliar editing software can make
mistakes (reminds me I've got a couple of areas to fix, if they
haven't been already, after I broke them with Vespucchi during
SotM).

Ed