[Talk-GB] iD and accidental landuse deletions

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Sat Sep 14 10:38:07 UTC 2013

Tom Chance wrote:
> I've seen two new users accidentally delete residential landuse areas
> near me in the past fortnight:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/17695130

Presumably http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/5019651 still needs
to be restored?  It should be doable with Potlatch 1:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=potlatch#map=18/51.42733/-0.03833

Then Advanced, select way, Undelete, Click to unlock, Save.  There are a
couple of service roads to the east on the park that seem to exist in
the imagery that were deleted back in 2009 that might be candidates for
restoration too.

Also the pub that they added could do with a main tag:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/2447618917

Has anyone tried to contact the user concerned to help them?

> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/17505646

Pretty much the same story there, and the footpath that they've added
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/233665496 probably is intended
to join at both ends.

I think that we forget sometimes that "doing new stuff is hard",
sometimes things go wrong, and it's important that help is available
when they do.

It's rare to get a writeup from a new user perspective - we rarely see
the thoughts of people who "tried to add something but couldn't".
Here's a "new user" diary entry from a month ago that contains a lot of
insight though:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/brittag/diary/19741

Cheers,

Andy