[Talk-GB] Using store locator as source

OpenStreetmap HADW osmhadw at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 20:41:38 UTC 2013

I'm pretty sure that store locators pages on chain store web sites are
not safe sources, but can someone confirm this.

I've just come across a, recently added feature, purporting to be an
Asda supermarket building, way 237818118.  As its only purported
source it quotes the URL of the store locator page for that store on
Asda's corporate web site.

In fact, it seems to show mapping details that could not have come
from that site (which uses a Bing map, which is, itself, actually
somewhat misleading), so I don't believe that page is the only source
used.  (On OSM, it has been mapped wrongly in ways that are not
relevant here.)

I've left a message pointing out that it has been incorrectly mapped,
and expressing concern about the source claimed,and also set a fixme,
but I wanted to double check that the source is generally unsafe (the
Bing map it contains is certainly unsafe, but may not actually have
been used).