[Talk-GB] National speed limit changes

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 29 09:05:16 UTC 2013

Peter,

> I say this because the '70 mph' value for maxspeed can only be used case where a road is a dual-carriageway.

What about link roads and slip roads? Sometimes they seem to go on for
miles without an obvious "other carriageway". Yet the correct maxspeed
is often 70mph, is it not?

How about saying that 70mph can only be valid on a way tagged as
one-way?

Colin

On 2013-09-29 10:14, Peter Miller wrote:

> [...]
>
> I understand the potential problem (does a national speed limit dual
> carriageway slip road count as a dual carriageway or not?) but am concerned
> that changing e.g. "GB:nsl_single" to "gb:national" will:
>
> o potentially obscure any underlying data errors (imagine something tagged
> "maxspeed=70 mph, maxspeed:type=GB:nsl_single")
>
> o make things more difficult for data consumers (if only by changing the
> data from something that they might be expecting)
>
> o confuse new mappers who see data that they've entered being changed
> because it's "wrong", when in reality there really isn't a concensus on
> this.
>
> I fully accept that national speed limit tagging in the UK is a mess (at
> the time of writing 4 of the top 6 values for
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/keys/maxspeed:type#values [1] could mean
> the same thing) but any consolidation must proceed following discussion.
>
> Sure, and I am politely inviting people to discuss the subject now and am
> suggesting that it makes a lot of sense to consolidate around a tag value
> which describes what one sees in front of one on the ground, ie a black and
> white sign. To be clear I in the habit of using the nsl_single and nsl_dual
> format until PinkDuck politely pointed out that I was tagging some
> slip-road etc incorrectly and we agreed that is made more sense to avoid
> the confusion in the first place and use the simpler gb:national.
>
> With regard to the other point:
>
> For avoidance of doubt, all my edits have been fully manual.
>
> I don't believe that anyone has suggested otherwise
>
> I was responding to Roberts comment above that "I certainly don't think
> there has been any discussion of or agreement for a mass mechanical edit to
> change existing values."
>
> although I have certainly suggested that you may not have visited all of
> the places that you have been changing the speed limit for. There is
> clearly a sliding scale between "I've surveyed an area, and everything that
> I've edited is based on the results of that survey, aided by e.g. Bing,
> OSSV, and other named sources" and "I've changed a bunch of tags worldwide
> based on who knows what information without even looking where I've changed
> them".
>
> The wiki's "mechanical edit policy<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edit_Policy [2]>"
>
> (as currently written) suggests that changes of this type may be covered
> ("search-and-replace operations using an editor... unless your changes are
> backed up by knowledge or survey") - I guess that it depends on what you
> mean by "knowledge" **.
>
> Clearly no-one's going to object to some tag-changing edits
> (designation=public_fooptath to designation=public_footpath for example)
> but in this case there's enough doubt - other mappers have said "I think
> the changes should reverted" and "This tag is vital" in the replies to my

Peter Miller CEO

+44(0) 7774 667213

ITO World Ltd - Registered in England & Wales - Registration Number
5753174

Office - 2nd Floor, 25 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AQ.

Registered Office - 32 Hampstead Heath, London, NW3 1JQ.

Telephone - 01473 272225

www.itoworld.com [5]

IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are
confidential. They are intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you
have received this email in error, please notify the system manager or
the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or
make copies thereof.

Links:
------
[1] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/keys/maxspeed:type#values