[Talk-GB] TfL bus maps as source

OpenStreetmap HADW osmhadw at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 17:52:02 UTC 2013

On 29 September 2013 18:27, Andrew <andrewhainosm at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> OpenStreetmap HADW <osmhadw at ...> writes:
>
>> My own assumption is that they are not a valid source, but I've just
>> discovered one route, by a contributor who has added several bus
>> routes, where their bus route finder web site has been quoted as a
>> source from version 1 of the relation.
>
> Have you tried contacting the mapper?

I sent them a message expressing concern just before posting to the list.

I'm really after moral backing that this is a breach, as I'd be surprised if
they took my word for it.  They have an investment in quite a few bus routes
that they, probably, wouldn't want redacted.

(I'm actually a bit concerned that other people have been using such
sources (very prolific and not checking if they are already part mapped),
but haven't given any source, so I can't be sure..)

Where people quote sources like this one (or more generally quote a URL,
rather than a standard source tag), I think they are thinking more in
wikipedia terms. Wikipedia tends not to concern itself with database
copyrights, as long as the exact wording of a source isn't reproduced.
For wikipedia, the source goes to show that the material is not "original
research".  On the other hand, OSM actually prefers original research - a
survey is the highest form of source.

Incidentally, that means that care needs to be taken in using wikipedia to
source OSM; importing from multiple articles may, indirectly import a
copyright database..