[Talk-GB] Hand-drawn OS maps on Wikimedia Commons

Steven Horner steven at stevenhorner.com
Sun Sep 29 19:00:50 UTC 2013

>On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com>wrote:

> >Hi Steven,
> >
> >I've never heard of MAPC2MAPC but it looks great. I posted a comment [1]
> on the talk-gb-westmidlands mailing >list noting that there are KMZ/KML
> files available on British Library website that include the corner
> coordinates. It >appears that MAPC2MAPC should be able to read these, and
> then assuming the z/x/y.png output in the >OSMTracker is standard TMS this
> would be exactly what we need to host these online as a map layer (just
> like >Bing or any of the other OS out of copyright maps).

I've bodged together a test website displaying the St Ives map converted to
tiles, displayed with OpenLayers, it's easy to create tiles in MAPC2MAPC.
You can view the test here [1].

> >Hope this helps. Do you think we can get these hosted on
> ooc.openstreetmap.org?

It would be good to get them all hosted in one place, I've been looking at
something similar for my own purposes but just hosted locally.

> >p.s. Is there a Linux equivalent of MAPC2MAPC?

Not aware of anything like MAPC2MAPC for Linux I'm afraid

[1] https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2657852/OS_Drawings/index.html