[Talk-GB] Mapping Indoor walkways

Christopher Baines cbaines8 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 23:48:43 UTC 2014

On 04/04/14 23:21, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> On 4 April 2014 20:55, SK53 <sk53.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The really hard problems are related to how to map multiple levels with our
>> current tools, but this doesn't usually impinge on the basic walkway,
>> although places like the Barbican already show the problem.
>
> The Barbican would be a good example to work on; it's the venue for
> this year's "Wikimania" (the "State of the Map" for Wikipedia and
> sister projects), in August, and it would be neat to showcase the
> results there.

So, looking at the current situation for that location.

In OSM, the building is mapped, and there are some nodes inside, but
nothing more [1].

There does appear to be a map of the building online, but no licence
information [2].

Google Maps appears to have a indoor map [3].

So, there are two issues. Getting the information in to OSM, and then
back out again.

In just requires someone to find a source, and put the data in (or
survey it in person). Using the format described here [4] (or something
similar) would be useful, as that is used by some tools for the next
step. Getting literally anything in would be a start (e.g. a single
room/vertical passage), as it would allow step two to begin.

Out (step two) can be done in a number of ways. The library that I have
been working on for doing map stuff around the University of Southampton
has a isolated internal indoor maps component, I plan to strip this out
and make it available as a separate Leaflet plugin, which could then be
used to put together a indoor map. There is also this tool [5], which is
more capable that what I have written, but appears to be slightly
narrower in scope.

1: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/51.51998/-0.09388&layers=D
2:
http://www.barbican.org.uk/media/upload/visitor%20information/barbican_floorplan.pdf