[Talk-GB] NaPTAN (stop) import

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 17:32:19 UTC 2014

Just my tuppence, since I used the Naptan stop data to make a printed map.
Electronic version here: http://www.transportparadise.co.uk/busmap/

My memory is that I corrected a lot of minor positional errors, and the
occasional name/bearing. I had to add in a few stops that weren't in
Naptan. I wouldn't want to lose these changes, but I'd quite like to fill
in stuff from Naptan that has been updated/corrected. Perhaps we need a
viewer that does comparisons both ways, so both sides can "accept changes"
from the other side if they look better.

I created almost all the route relations from scratch (which was painful,
but would probably have been easier if I'd used the german editor). Anyway,
it basically only has to be done once, and needs human review, so I'd
probably recommend doing them by hand, rather than attempting to generate
them automatically from a timetable.

I used "service" to distinguish between city/country/express services.

I put "frequency" on the route relation (ie typical off-peak weekday
per-hour frequency), such as this one:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/143161

If it's less than once per hour I put "journeys" (ie per weekday) on the
route relation. Sometimes I put journeys on stops (as a flag for not
rendering them).

The frequencies can be summed/combined for particular ways, if required. I
had to bodge that a bit for my map, but I'll probably do it properly when
(if) I update it, since Maperitive now has a python capability.

Richard