[Talk-GB] Where to cross boulevards, and how to map it

Stuart Reynolds stuart at travelinesoutheast.org.uk
Tue Aug 12 12:15:05 UTC 2014

Hi

Here in Southend I have a number of boulevards - dual carriageways with large central grassed/tree areas. In some cases there are quite clearly defined crossing points, and often there will be fences down the middle of the road (especially outside schools) to prevent people using anything other than the crossing. Here, for example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/51.55374/0.66964

In other places (go west from here) there are no defined crossing points, and people can, and do, cross anywhere.

We use the data, among other things, to offer pedestrian routing. And it clearly makes no sense for a pedestrian to walk for ages up the road to find a crossing point and then to walk back again. But the voids in the carriageways are just that - voids. What might I fill them with? And would that in itself create routing opportunities, or do I need (indeed, am I even allowed) to add fictitious footpaths? How would I even do that in a nice way that would obscure them from renders?

Thanks
Stuart