[Talk-GB] Tagging of British canals.

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 18:16:48 UTC 2014

Some very good tips there RichardF.

>Don't be fooled by the siren voices of the wiki. What's in the database
>is valid because it's formed by consensus.

To come to the defence of the wiki (yes, there's a lot wrong with it, but
there are also some good people putting in a lot of effort), it's worth
pointing out that what's in the database is also affected by what tags the
major editors expose/have pre-sets for, and also what gets rendered on the
main map style (tagging for the render).

I suppose my point is that the only true consensus is when documentation,
mapping tools, data in OSM, and the renderer all align. And as you pointed
out so eloquently the best way to do this is by having a healthy community
that talk and listen. :-)

Rob