[Talk-GB] C roads again

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 07:38:21 UTC 2014

On 13/08/14 08:20, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 13/08/14 07:37, Lester Caine wrote:
>
>> On a slightly different tack, the tertiary road designation is more of a
>> problem. While not advocating 'tag for routing', this is one that is
>> making my own use of OSMAND almost impossible, and I can't believe
>> others don't find the problem. It refuses to use the B4632 ( used to be
>> the A46! ) going north from here, and I can't trace why. Roads south are
>> a similar problem, but these a good quality 'C' roads. Should they be
>> 'upgraded' to secondary or should the distinction be removed in OSMAND
>> for UK roads?  If I can't trust local routing why should I at a new
>> destination and we are talking a several mile detour here which can add
>> 30mins to the journey.
>
> If you don't like the routing decisions an app makes then talk to it's
> author or use a different one - certainly don't try and hack the data to
> make it do what you want. Aside from anything else it might affect other
> apps routing decisions in entirely different ways.
>
> There is a well defined meaning to trunk/primary/secondary for UK roads
> so please use it.

One can select different routers and they all give different results for
much the same reason. The 'well defined meaning' is fine from a
political point of view, but in rural areas it is failing when used as a
means of identifying road quality for routing. I have a number of open
posts on this which no one seems interested in discussing, but if you
can provide an alternative to OSMAND which will work better I'd be more
that willing to check it out. The old TomTom gets it right most of the
time so this is just a matter of getting something right.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL