[Talk-GB] Imaginery footpaths added by user "Gavaasuren"

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Mon Aug 18 09:59:22 UTC 2014

Hi,

User "Gavaasuren" has been adding a series of imaginary footpaths over
the last few weeks, each with the changeset comment "zwischen
Fußgängerzonen und Straßen Fußweg erstellt".  What they seem to be doing
is joining "pedestrian islands" to random nearby roads in order to
resolve "routing errors".

Whilst the existance of a highway=pedestrian area that isn't connected
is an indication of something, it's usually just an indication of that
mapping in a particular area is not complete.

For example, this way(1) was added to connect the pedestrian area to a
random road, but in this instance the mapping of the marketplace as a
pedestrian area is an approximation - what there actually are there lots
of paths between market stalls, and I'm sure at some point in the future
it'll get mapped properly.  Adding this imaginery footpath doesn't fix
the problem - it's mapped just as "wrongly" now as it was before
(arguably more so), but it does hide the problem from QA sites.

I've messaged this user 6 times over the last month and although they've
replied communication does not seem to have occurred (they're still
adding imaginery footpaths).  I also resurveyed a relatively local
one(2) to show that, following a survey, what actually exists bears
little resemblance to their "fixes".

I've just messaged them again saying "please stop!".  If they continue
I'll mention it to the data working group; in the meantime I'd suggest
that people check their local areas for these edits and (if they're
invalid) revert them, and if possible survey and map the affected areas
properly.

Cheers,

Andy

(1) http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/297892595/history