[Talk-GB] UK use of highway=living_street

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sun Aug 31 12:49:34 UTC 2014

On 31/08/14 13:30, SK53 wrote:
> It is sometimes worth ascertaining if the block-paved sections are
> adopted highways, where they only occur at the ends of streets. In some
> cases these may just be a shared-access driveway. Not always easy to do
> of course.

My impression is that councils are very reluctant to adopt these days,
so it quite likely to be, at most, a private residential road (although
I'd personally tend to map it as access destination, rather than
private, unless there were indications that cars were unwelcome without
prior agreement.  There aren't really enough gradations of privacy to
accurately map this sort of case (e.g. it might not be a public highway,
but, if un-gated, no-one may be enforcing that, and even the residents
may not have read their title deeds that carefully, until they get
called upon to pay for upkeep!).