[Talk-GB] No more voting on mechanical edits

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 10:24:19 UTC 2014

Hi Matthijs,

The DWG email used the word "consensus" inappropriately, since
consensus means everyone agreeing, and we didn't. However, consensus
is essentially impossible in big wiki communities like ours, so let's
assume there's a relative meaning of the term ;)

For the record, I still think taking an "opinion poll" of opinions is
a useful way to judge the level of community support, as long as we're
clear it isn't a binding "vote". Votes/polls can be gamed or skewed
but so can mailing-list threads (differently), and it's extremely
non-trivial to work out from a discussion thread how much
support/opposition/apathy there is.

Best
Dan