[Talk-GB] No more voting on mechanical edits

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Dec 18 17:10:33 UTC 2014

On 12/18/2014 2:24 AM, Dan S wrote:
> Hi Matthijs,
>
> The DWG email used the word "consensus" inappropriately, since
> consensus means everyone agreeing, and we didn't. However, consensus
> is essentially impossible in big wiki communities like ours, so let's
> assume there's a relative meaning of the term;)
Consensus is not unanimity. For consensus I generally point at IETF
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2418#section-3.3) although there are
other definitions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Consensus-flowchart.png is helpful as
an overview - the test for consensus is only a small part of achieving
consensus.

In the past, most proposals have either failed to engage the community
or been supported with near unanimity with little middle ground.