[Talk-GB] Totesport

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 13:56:34 UTC 2014

I'll add a note on the UK Retail section for bookies
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UK_Retail_Chains#Betting_Shops>.

There are still one or two unharmonised tags for bookmakers: I moved a few
amenity=bookmaker to shop=bookmaker the other day. At least one was one I
created & I'm pretty sure it was because I copied the tags from a pharmacy
node which already had relevant address tags and then failed to change
amenity to shop. This implies another possible tagging error mode which
it's worth checking for.

Some other tags which may be relevant to these shops: gambling (for
available type of betting; not sure how one includes fixed-odds machines);
and minage or min_age (although the former has much more usage, I find the
case in favour of the latter is a good one).

It's worth noting some other chains which have closed/taken over, as well

   - Notably there are lots of "*Phones 4 U*" shops (under a variety of
   names). All the one's I've physically checked have been closed and have a
   notice from the receivers.
   - *Co-operative Pharmacy*: the Co-op has sold these off to Bestway as
   part of trying to fix its finances after the combined Somerfield/Britannia
   takeover disasters. See BBC News
   <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28361977> story & Co-op
   <http://www.thenews.coop/90565/news/business/co-operative-pharmacy-sale-finalised/>
   website. I imagine these will be re-branded at some point. I suspect that
   not all shops branded "The co-operative pharmacy" were in included in the
   deal, because, for instance Midshires Co-op still have their pharmacies.
   I'll check this with someone who is likely to know the details.

Regards,

Jerry