[Talk-GB] Town v City

Andy Street andy at street.me.uk
Tue Feb 25 11:19:55 UTC 2014

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 10:13:59 +0000
Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:

> If anything, I'd like to amend the UK use of place=city to come up
> with a use of the tag that fits in with global OSM usage. We can add a
> tag for 'ceremonial status' or similar to indicate they are a 'city'
> according to the weird UK rules but aren't actually cities in the main
> meaning of the word. So long as it's all agreed and documented, I'd be
> in favour of a change.

+1

I see similarities between this and admin areas where I've tagged
admin_level=* to denote place within a global hierarchy then
supplemented it with designation=unitary_authority etc. to record
regional intricacies.

Perhaps we could use designation=GB:city in this instance?

--
Regards,

Andy Street