[Talk-GB] Royal Mail & Parcelforce delivery offices

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Sun Jan 12 21:49:05 UTC 2014

On 12 Jan 2014, at 13:03, Borbus <borbus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/01/14 12:30, Andy Street wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 11:52:02 +0000
>> John Aldridge <jpsa at jjdash.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a consensus on how to tag Royal Mail & Parcel Force delivery
>>> offices?
>>>
>>> Are these amenity=post_office, or something else?
>>
>> If there is a facility that allows the general public access to collect
>> or send mail then I'd consider amenity=post_office to be appropriate.
>>

> They're not Post Offices, though.  Post Office (capitalised) has a very specific meaning in the UK, with more services than just posting letters.  It depends what we want amenity=post_office to mean but I'd say at a minimum without further tags it should mean you can actually post something.  If someone goes to a Local Delivery Office with a parcel to post they will be in for a surprise.

I agree, we need a different tag for delivery offices compared to post offices which are significantly different. If a lay person searches for a post office they need to get what they expect to be a post office. I’ve recently come across someone who was essentially saying OSM is confusing due to the problems with the located in parts of the Nominatim search results being wrong. A similar thing will happen here.

Delivery Offices will pretty much only accept prearranged parcels and pickups.

The pickup of parcels from Post Offices is a fairly recent change.

Companies such as Collect Plus and myHermes operate through newsagents and smaller supermarkets, thus I’d say it’s a property of the shop rather than being an amenity itself within the shop as it’s the same counter that you buy stuff from where you drop off and collect the parcels.

Shaun