[Talk-GB] highway=trunk Roads and Cycle Navigation

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Sun Jul 27 22:42:57 UTC 2014

On 27/07/2014 22:26, ianmspencer at gmail.com wrote:
> .... The problem is that there is a tagging system in place which is
> ambiguous from an International point of view.

It is indeed the case that when someone in Germany tags a trunk road the
default access rules are different to when someone in England tags one.
In fact it's not just restricted to trunk roads - see the large table here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions

So the solution isn't as simple as "let's only tag things that you are
forbidden from cycling on as trunk roads".  You'd also have to reconcile
German cycleway rules (implicit foot=no) and even the different general
right of access that there is in Scotland that there isn't in England
and Wales.

It isn't reasonable to expect all mappers in all countries to add the
default access tags for their country to all ways (so Germans would add
foot=no to all cycleways and English people would add foot=yes).
Therefore I suspect that you're not going to get to a point where you
can feed a PBF from any random country into mkgmap and get something
uniform in terms of rights of access out of the other side - you're
always going to have to do some country-specific post-processing to get
it to the point where it contains all the extra "default" information,
or if you're only interested in one country, just create a
country-specific style.

In the case of "allowing bicycles on trunk roads" it's actually the
default, so you don't have to do anything special (I've just checked,
and my eTrex happily has me cycling along a trunk road to get to an
arbitary destination 20 miles away).

What I don't understand is why you want to use a map from a source that
doesn't understand UK access rules in the UK - what are the "issues"
that you referred to in the help question (1) that would preclude you
from using a map that does understand UK access rules (or even creating
your own map)?

Cheers,

Andy

1)