[Talk-GB] New mapper has imported all Nottingham street lights

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jul 30 20:32:10 UTC 2014

Hi,

   +1 to all points in this message, especially

On 07/30/2014 09:33 PM, SomeoneElse wrote:
> if you're uploading 1776 pages of data to
> a shared database that refers to a remote town in another country, to
> actually talk to people locally first

> The second is that this is open data.  There's no immediate reason just
> to dump it into OSM just _because_ it's open data

The question "why revert just because of etiquette" has been raised but
I think it is very much in order to revert "just" because of a violation
of the rules. More and more I see people in OSM arguing for silly things
because other equally silly things are done elsewhere in OSM - "if
*they* are allowed to import stuff without consultation then *I* bust be
too". We don't have many rules but we should work towards a culture
where the few rules that we have are known and followed, rather than
turning a blind eye to those who violate them. (And I don't know what's
worse - wantonly violating a rule that you know about, or believing you
would help OSM by importing a ton of streetlights in another country
without talking to anybody *or* reading up on imports in the Wiki *or*
reading the imports list.)

Bye
Frederik