[Talk-GB] NaPTAN (stop) import

Donald Noble drnoble at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 19:42:51 UTC 2014

Probably not a convenient area for you, but I added bus stops in the
Glasgow area from NAPTAN data a few years back, manually merging in
with existing data and surveying those where it wasn't clear (and
flagging a few cases that I didn't get a chance to survey). However it
took quite a bit longer than I had anticipated soI didn't do any
further areas.

If you were to develop some way to compare NAPTAN & OSM by
reference/location, and then marking as close matches to existing
(needing updated or not) or possible conflicts to be survey, etc,
would be interesting. But has been noted, this probably has to be
reviewed on a stop-by-stop basis, as there are so many potential
issues with both the NAPTAN and OSM data.

Cheers, Donald

On 31 July 2014 19:18, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> On 31/07/14 18:31, Chris Hill wrote:
>> I'd be particularly interested if any council has used the improved OSM
>> data to bring their feed into NaPTAN up to scratch, and if not why not?
>
> As the naptan data has a nice unique identifier then it should be
> possible to do a clean compare of what is on OSM and the raw naptan
> data? If the location of a node is distance from the raw data, this can
> be tagged, and if other fields have updated then this data can be
> updated on OSM. Import wise, if a node already exists, then it would be
> dropped from a new import. This data really is a nice example that could
> be developed with data management tools that would then be usable with
> other data sets such as lamp posts, post boxes, telephone distribution
> cabinets and the like?
>
> --
> Lester Caine - G8HFL

Donald Noble