[Talk-GB] Postcodes

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Jun 11 22:01:30 UTC 2014

On 10/06/14 08:47, Shaun McDonald wrote:
> Personally I’d say it’s better to place the postcode on the buildings, as they are delivery points, that the postcode relates to, whereas adding them to the street is both more complex, error prone and not tagging what the postcode actually relates to (i.e. the collection of delivery points).

Each building gets a postcode and building identity - number or name.
BUT NO STREET. The postcode is attached to the relevant street, which
then goes on to provide the additional location hierarchy. That the
street may have more than one postcode is not a problem as the location
of the buildings gives that fine detail. The problem is how to add
multiple postcodes to a single street object? Spliting the street where
 buildings lie on a sub section is one option, and since we are
splitting it for speed limits and other physical boundaries is a given,
but a 'relation' that combines all the elements of 'the street' and
would allow all of the higher level links to have a single target. This
opens the need to allow multiple copies of some tags on a single object?
Micro mapping would allow bother sides of a street to be mapped, and if
necessary, the correct postcode would tag each side, but the macro view
needs both postcodes on a macro view of the way.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL