[Talk-GB] Fwd: In mainland Britain, you are never more than 34 miles from a pub.

thomas van der veen th.vanderveen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 10:45:16 UTC 2014

And here is the Wikipedia quote  from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coton_in_the_Elms

Distance from coast[edit
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Coton_in_the_Elms&action=edit&section=3>
]

Southeast of the village – at grid reference
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_national_grid_reference_system>
SK253144
<http://toolserver.org/~rhaworth/os/coor_g.php?pagename=Coton_in_the_Elms&params=SK253144_region%3AGB_scale%3A25000>
–
is Church Flatts Farm, which is defined by the Ordnance Survey as the
farthest point from the sea (at the mean low water line) in Great Britain.
[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coton_in_the_Elms#cite_note-BBC-1> The
location is Latitude: 52° 43.6' N Longitude: 1° 37.2' W. Coton is, by
definition, equidistant from Fosdyke Wash
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fosdyke> in Lincolnshire; White Sands between
Neston <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neston> in Cheshire
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire> and Flint, Flintshire
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint,_Flintshire> in Wales; and
Westbury-on-Severn <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westbury-on-Severn> in
Gloucestershire – all of which are 113 kilometres (70 mi) away.[1]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coton_in_the_Elms#cite_note-BBC-1>[2]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coton_in_the_Elms#cite_note-OS-2>

so it mean low water line. And low water  of course doesn't happen at the
same time around the country... so in real live you could argue it moves
around all the time (I am getting quite pedantic now IMHO).

Thomas