[Talk-GB] Life Ring - British English

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 09:30:47 UTC 2014

en-gb is probably lifebuoy

I've never heard it called a life ring - that's too vague a name. Most
people would probably refer to it by starting to describe it - one of those
red ring things that you can use to help someone who is drowning.

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Andreas Goss <andig88 at t-online.de> wrote:

> I'm trying to clean up the emergency tags in the Wiki and found
> emergency=life_ring as well as some less used other tag combinations with
> amenity and buoy.
> Is life ring how it is commonly referred to in British English. Just
> wanted to make sure it's not literal translation from German and isn't used
> in the UK at all. Wikipedia lists a lot of different names. I guess
> lifebuoy is more American? And is it written life ring or lifering? Both
> correct?
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:emergency%3Dlife_ring
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifebuoy
> __________
> openstreetmap.org/user/AndiG88
> wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:AndiG88‎
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-GB mailing list
> Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gb
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/attachments/20140616/9331cd40/attachment.html>

More information about the Talk-GB mailing list