[Talk-GB] Life Ring - British English

John Aldridge jpsa at jjdash.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 16 09:42:07 UTC 2014

I've always heard them called lifebelts.


On 16/06/2014 10:30, Richard Mann wrote:
> en-gb is probably lifebuoy
> I've never heard it called a life ring - that's too vague a name. Most
> people would probably refer to it by starting to describe it - one of those
> red ring things that you can use to help someone who is drowning.
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Andreas Goss <andig88 at t-online.de> wrote:
>> I'm trying to clean up the emergency tags in the Wiki and found
>> emergency=life_ring as well as some less used other tag combinations with
>> amenity and buoy.
>> Is life ring how it is commonly referred to in British English. Just
>> wanted to make sure it's not literal translation from German and isn't used
>> in the UK at all. Wikipedia lists a lot of different names. I guess
>> lifebuoy is more American? And is it written life ring or lifering? Both
>> correct?
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:emergency%3Dlife_ring
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifebuoy

More information about the Talk-GB mailing list