[Talk-GB] Bing imagery

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Tue Mar 4 18:35:34 UTC 2014

(taking these in a slightly different order)

Eric Grosso wrote:

> So from my point of view, the problem described initially by Will is
> still a current one.

Indeed - higher up this thread I mentioned a location in Mansfield which
used to have > z18 imagery and now no longer does for me (in Potlatch 2).

> In Wolverhampton, there are different problems which are combined, not
> only a problem with the imagery at a zoom level higher than 19.
>
> To take an example, using the Bing maps website
> (http://www.bing.com/maps/) and searching for Birch street,

Is what I see in "wolves_bing.com_aerial.png" what you're referring to
here?  I got that by going to Bing.com, searching for Birch Street,
Wolverhampton, zooming in in the southern end of Molineux and switching
to "aerial".

Interestingly, I don't see this problem in Potlatch 2 - there I get
"wolves_p2_background.png" (or JOSM FWIW).

> ..... If you switch to the aerial imagery without showing the labels,
> you can access a reasonable good imagery which is the one which is
> used until the zoom level 19.

I'm not sure what you mean here - I don't use Bing's website so I'm not
familiar with it and don't obviously see a "show the labels" option.
I'm running Chrome on Windows 7 without Silverlight, if that's
relevant.  It's certainly interesting that I see different "aerial" (not
Birds Eye) imagery via bing.com than via the OSM editors.

The point that I was actually trying to make (rather badly) was that
west of there:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?editor=potlatch2#map=18/52.72277/-2.12222

imagery that was present in December but absent in January had
reappeared as of this Monday, and therefore any "missing imagery" issues
that there are currently may be temporary.

Cheers,

Andy

Attachments:

wolves_bing.com_aerial.png: