[Talk-GB] W3C Invitation

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 20:22:27 UTC 2014

Ha, I'd knew Id get it wrong about which London Borough.

We dont always delete old data in OSM:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2596723826

This is relevant because the Beech was felled because the root system had
been attacked by Meripilus giganteus (see
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mausboam/2821775219/ and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mausboam/2857082532/ ) and any planting of
another Beech on the site is not a good idea. Another tree on this road has
gone from the same cause, and I at least one other is infected (council are
a lot less proactive about this than they were 6 years ago). I suspect that
the fungus spreads because the contractors who mow the verges aren't very
careful about how they mow close to the bole of these trees, and damage
exposed parts of the root system.

In practice I've been 'ticking off' this fungus at this location every year
since it was felled. See for example one record in FRDBBI
http://www.fieldmycology.net/FRDBI/FRDBIrecord.asp?strVC=56&strName=Meripilus+giganteus
.

So this illustrates another point about why tree data is needed.

Jerry