[Talk-GB] newbie questions about building outlines

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu May 1 09:41:33 UTC 2014

On 30 April 2014 12:42, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:

> While building outlines are not particularly interesting in
>> themselves

I disagree, for navigation purposes it's often useful to know something
about the buildings in the area. I also think they look rather nice :-)

> I've been surprised when doing address surveying that it
>> makes a massive difference to the task: having outlines to work to
>> (and occasionally, to fix) really speeds up my address surveying. So
>> like others have said, I now try to get buildings sketched in from
>> aerials beforehand.
>>

> I find the opposite myself. If somebody has already sketched outlines then
> I usually find it easier to delete them all and start again.
>
> Apart from anything else they're often either not split up into separate
> units, or the split is wrong if the person hasn't actually been there and
> seen where the splits are.

I've found myself in both situations, again it depends on how complicated
the buildings are and how well the previous editor has drawn the buildings.
Something I'd really like is a good JOSM plugin or tool to help me add
sequential addresses to a large selection of buildings. It's slow and
boring doing each one in turn.

Tom