[Talk-GB] OSM Analysis updated with May 2014 OS Locator data

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Thu May 15 13:10:09 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-15 13:43, Philip Barnes wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-05-15 at 09:46 +0200, Marc Gemis wrote:
>> Left and right is decided by the direction of the osm-way. Not by
>> east/west/north/south.
>>

>> BTW, in Brussels we have streets with 4 official names : left/right,
>> French/Dutch :-)
>>

> Rather than left/right should we not be using forward/reverse (or is it
> backwards) as with sidewalk tagging?

No, sidewalks should be tagged as
sidewalk=left/sidewalk=right/sidewalk=both etc.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sidewalks
Because that is where they are physically located, relative to the
direction of the way. So the same should apply to names, ie
name:left/name:right

Forward or backward is for things which depend on which way you are
travelling, ie different speed limits or access restrictions.

> One question I also have, if a road is reversed does forward/reverse
> tagging get automatically corrected?

That depends on what editor you are using. JOSM does prompt you if you
reverse a way with most forward/backward or left/right tags, and asks if
you want to change them to the opposite.
Though testing now, it seems this doesn't work with
name:left/name:right, seems to be a bug.

Craig