[Talk-GB] Voting mechanical edit: UK shop names

John Aldridge jpsa at jjdash.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 1 09:57:32 UTC 2014

On 31/10/2014 22:51, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Voting is now open for the proposal to unify the names of chain shops
> within the UK by renaming them.

I'm genuinely not sure about this proposal.

Philosophically, I think OSM is a *mapping* project (duh!), and so the
"correct" name is exactly the text which appears on the shop's sign. If
a chain of shops were to be inconsistent in how they are signed (I don't
know how common this is), then so be it. This leads me to the view that
"correcting" shop names (although desirable) can only safely be done by
a ground survey (to check what the sign actually says).

On the other hand, I have no doubt that the overwhelming majority of the
variations this proposal will eliminate are simply mapping errors, and
do not reflect actual signing differences. The "average" quality of the
map will be significantly improved by the automated edit, even if a few
genuine differences are accidentally lost.

--
Cheers,
John