[Talk-GB] Voting mechanical edit: UK shop names

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sat Nov 1 12:50:58 UTC 2014

Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> Voting is now open for the proposal to unify the names of chain
> shops within the UK by renaming them.

No, it isn't.

Mechanical edits stand or fall by their own merits. They cannot be ok-ed by
a vote.

>From the Automated Edits Code of Conduct: "We do not require or recommend a
formal vote, but if there is significant objection to your plan - and even
minorities may be significant! - then change it or drop it altogether."

We historically have a low tolerance of mechanical edits and imports in the
UK; we prefer to make large-scale changes by hand. That is one of the
reasons why the OSM map of the UK is so good. A "come one, come all" vote on
the wiki can be trivially gerrymandered into supporting your proposals
without any proof of approval by the people who are affected by such a bulk
change, i.e. UK mappers.

I am not sure where you got the idea of a "vote" for mechanical edits
(Wikipedia? wiki.osm.org tag pages?), but there is no precedent for it in
OSM and I would ask you to withdraw it.

Richard