[Talk-GB] Notes (was "Consolidated views of notes, fixmes, musical chairs, etc.")

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Sat Nov 1 21:38:52 UTC 2014

On 01/11/2014 20:08, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> I in fact even proposed incorporating a system that makes this
> explicit in the notes API:
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2014-August/070423.html
> Unfortunately, my suggestion in that thread didn't gain traction.

It's great to have an idea, but it still needs the magic development
pixies to do something to turn it into reality :-)

Until such point as that happens, I think that it's definitely worth
"overdoing" the contents of notes rather than "underdoing" it.  It might
feel boring writing the same text every time (but cut-and-paste is
cheap, of course), but someone coming across just one note won't be
aware of the context.

Hyperlinks from notes work, so I'd:

o hyperlink the OSM item that is in question

o hyperlink the analysis that showed that this value might be an outlier
(either on this list, or on a wiki page, or somewhere else)

o hyperlink the current state of usage of a particular name or tag in
taginfo (which may change before the note is actioned, of course)

o make it clear that the "correct" value for the item is what is found
from survey, and that you've added a note because a previous survey may
have made a mistake (or a company has changed its branding nationally).

Cheers,

Andy