[Talk-GB] RFC-2 mechanical edit: UK shop names

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Sun Nov 2 13:24:46 UTC 2014

Dear all,

During the voting phase, a number of comments on the shop renaming
proposal have been brought forward that were not voiced during the
discussion phase (both here and on the voting page). Because I think
it is important to act as carefully as possible when executing
automatic edits, I have stopped the voting, and will bring this
proposal back to the discussion phase. My apologies to those who voted
already.

The main points of discussion, apart from those by people who don't
support automatic edits in general, were as follows. Note that in all
cases, we have the option to choose either of both options, but also
the option to do nothing at all.

- 'Brantano Footwear' versus Brantano
Some shops signs include the 'Footwear' text, others don't. I would
argue that 'Footwear' in the logo is not part of the title, but a
description of the shop's activities. For example, we also don't tag
'name=Cafe Nero The Italian coffee company' or 'name=Poundland
Everything's £1'. We currently have 116 times Brantano and 12 times
Brantano Footwear in the UK. The shop's website doesn't include the
word 'Footwear', but their Twitter does. Opinions?

- Capitalization of Aldi, Lidl, Spar, Asda
There is no agreement on whether these names should be capitalized or
not. The spelling on the sign is not sufficient evidence, unless we
believe that Jones Bootmaker, Lloyds Bank, Halifax, Pizza Express,
Cafe Rouge, Greggs, Primark, and Max Spielmann should be tagged in
uppercase too. The fact that the names are abbreviations is not a
reason to capitalize either: ASDA stands for Asquith and Dairies, so
the etymology gives no reason for capitalizing the S, at least. Aldi
and Lidl use lowercase on their website, while SPAR uses uppercase,
and Asda/ASDA uses a mix. I'm not sure what to do here.

- The change for Jewson was given in the wrong direction in the
initial proposal. The name Jewsons should be changed to Jewson, and I
will change the proposal accordingly.

The current proposal can be found here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Math1985/UK_Shop_Names
Please let me know what you think of these issues, and if there are
any other changes you want to discuss.

Kind regards,
Matthijs