[Talk-GB] Voting mechanical edit: UK shop names

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Nov 2 15:03:04 UTC 2014

On 02/11/14 14:06, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> It is by the way not true that there is no precedent to use votes for
> mechanical edits - the retagging of musical instrument shops has been
> discussed in a similar way, see
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Math1985/Musical_instrument
> and the corresponding discussion on the tagging list.
Tidying a tag value is a different case to amending free format text.
That a tagging method evolves is well documented, and other uses of
those tags can be cleanly documented even if the merged 'spellings' may
actually refer to a different meaning. The renamed tags can be reviewed
fairly easily and may identify additional changes.

> I hope this clarifies this procedure, and I also hope it at least
> takes part of your worries away.
The free format areas are not documented on the wiki although a case
could be made for creating guide lines on a country by country basis.
What ever happens I think that the availability of adding
comments/discussion to a change set perhaps highlights another reason
why if any of these are applied, each should have it's own commit and
then if there is any follow up required it is easy to discuss that via
the change set and revert if required. I still prefer this to be a more
manual process for free format material, but if each change is
documented and processed as any objections are addressed it will
mitigate a little the lack of any real observations confirming the need
for a change ... and opens the door to correcting any collateral damage
more easily.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL