[Talk-GB] RFC-2 mechanical edit: UK shop names

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Mon Nov 3 23:35:42 UTC 2014

On 2 November 2014 16:11, Andy Street <andy at street.me.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 13:24:46 +0000
> Matthijs Melissen <info at matthijsmelissen.nl> wrote:

>> - 'Brantano Footwear' versus Brantano

> Whilst company names do not necessarily reflect trading names I'd be
> inclined to take "Brantano (UK) Limited" as further evidence for
> "Brantano" over "Brantano Footwear".

Are there still objections against "Brantano"?

>> - Capitalization of Aldi, Lidl, Spar, Asda

> What do people think about using upper case for names that are
> pronounced as a series of letters and mixed case for names that are
> pronounced as a word? Whilst not ideal (until the widespread adoption
> of the talking shop sign!) this would give us a rule of thumb that
> should be easy enough to follow in the majority of situations.

I'm not sure if this would be a good general rule, it would look
strange in abbreviations like NATO, AIDS, or GNU (not sure if all of
them occur in topographic names).

Maybe we could follow the spelling the organization uses themselves in
running text? That would give us Lidl, Aldi, and Asda, but SPAR.
Alternatively, we could follow the spelling other media use to refer
to those shops (which is the rule Wikipedia uses), which would
probably give us Lidl, Aldi, Asda, and Spar. The latter also
corresponds with current use. What do you think?

-- Matthijs