[Talk-GB] Voting mechanical edit: UK shop names

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Nov 4 15:20:52 UTC 2014

Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> I therefore think inviting list members to vote in order to make
> the position of the community explicit - in addition to taking
> comments on the mailing list into account, not as a replacement
> of it - is the safest way to proceed.

On reflection, it would be more helpful, and less controversial, if you were
to describe this process as a "poll" rather than a "vote".

A "vote" is traditionally used to move to a binding decision. A "poll" is
seeking to gauge the level of support, often as a piece of supporting
evidence for a wider case. In this case I hope you'll agree the latter is
more appropriate.

Richard