[Talk-GB] RFC-2 mechanical edit: UK shop names

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 18:49:44 UTC 2014

On 04/11/14 17:19, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> On 4 November 2014 10:25, Ed Loach <edloach at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Are there still objections against "Brantano"?
>>
>> Yes. It says "Brantano Footwear" as the name on the sign on at least the two nearest stores to me. I have no objections to brand or operator being Brantano, but not the name field.
>
> As I said before, shops commonly list the products they sell under the
> shop name on a shield. Example:
> http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy292/dennoir/Artistic/290320092891hamersmith.jpg
> I suppose you wouldn't tag this shop as 'Sweets & News cold drinks
> magazines newspapers sweets bus passes'?
>
> So the question is - what makes you think that 'Footwear' is part of
> the name, rather than a description of the products they sell?

OK ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brantano_Footwear

This explains where Brantano Footwear came from and also why the
Footwear element may be a little woolly in the UK today. It is a
registered name
http://coalville.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/brantano--footwear--ltd-15742171.html

Then you get locations like
http://www.yell.com/biz/brantano-footwear-ltd-poole-7216924/ and many
other shops are listed with the full name so even they don't know the
exact situation :)

The 'name' is 'Brantano Footwear' unless there IS something different on
the signage, and the 'operator' is 'Brantano (UK) Ltd'. I'd avoid using
'brand' since even the web site makes a big thing of the brands that
they supply, and Brantano is just one of many brands.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL