[Talk-GB] RFC-2 mechanical edit: UK shop names

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Tue Nov 4 22:17:06 UTC 2014

On 04/11/14 22:04, Colin Smale wrote:

> Hang on a minute... the name tag should contain the most common name,
> or, as the wiki puts it, the "common default name." There are other
> tags for enthousiasts to store official names, legal names, alternate
> names, brands, operators etc which, in a certain frame of reference,
> can also be "correct" in their own way. What goes in the basic "name"
> tag should be what "most people" would call it, and, implicitly,
> should be written how "most people" would write it. IMHO "most people"
> would write Spar, Asda, Brantano and only trademark junkies would
> write ASDA for example (discounting people who would write any answer
> in all capitals anyway).
>
> C.

I would write what it says on the sign on the shop. That's why I tag
ASDA as ASDA, that's what it says on the sign. I don't look at their
website, their advertising or their letter heads. I use ground truth.
I'm not a trademark junkie, I'm a mapper who tries to get it right.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly