[Talk-GB] RFC-2 mechanical edit: UK shop names

Stuart Reynolds stuart at travelinesoutheast.org.uk
Wed Nov 5 08:32:25 UTC 2014

I have to say that this is all getting rather intense. We are talking about one chain of shops! And clearly we aren't going to get an agreement on standardisation.

To be honest I've never quite understood the obsession with mapping individual shops. Fine if it is done everywhere, but it isn't. Shops come and go, and if I was to do this in Southend High Street I'd have to walk up it on a weekly basis at present to capture all the changes. Frankly, I've got better things to do given many missing crossings, footpaths, cycle ways etc that would really enhance the data.

As I read about a million messages ago, the user of the data can find Brantano, or Coral, or whatever, in all its various forms by processing the data. I've found three different ways of mapping bus lanes so far, which to me is more important than one chain of shops. But we live with it, and code it up so that we account for it rather than proposing to change everything wholesale to identical schemas.

Any chance we can just move on from this?

Regards
Stuart

Sent from my iPhone