[Talk-GB] RFC-2 mechanical edit: UK shop names

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Wed Nov 5 18:05:23 UTC 2014

On 05/11/2014 17:24, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> Could you please have a look at
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Math1985/UK_Shop_Names
> if there are any other changes that need removing or changing?

"Wilkinson" we know are in a process of rebranding to "Wilko"; so I
might be tempted there to add notes to ask if a particular shop has been
rebranded yet.  Just changing "Wilkinsons" to "Wilkinson" might suggest
that you know that a particular shop was "Wilkinson" on a certain date,
which isn't the case.

"Thompson" is also a very common name; I'd be wary of changing those
without a local survey.

"Phones 4u" shops I'd expect would need resurvey due to the administration.

I'd be very careful with "Majestic" to avoid e.g. curry houses.

Cheers,

Andy