[Talk-GB] RFC-2 mechanical edit: UK shop names

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Nov 5 21:58:00 UTC 2014

On 05/11/14 08:32, Stuart Reynolds wrote:

> To be honest I've never quite understood the obsession with mapping
> individual shops. Fine if it is done everywhere, but it isn't. Shops
> come and go, and if I was to do this in Southend High Street I'd have to
> walk up it on a weekly basis at present to capture all the changes.
> Frankly, I've got better things to do given many missing crossings,
> footpaths, cycle ways etc that would really enhance the data.

That's close to my view, although I think you an get away with a three
monthly survey.  Not that that makes much difference as I reckon the
current rate will just about map every shop in 40 to 50 years!

The other thing is that it seems to be concentrating on the big brands,
which means that people are being over-influenced by their marketing
efforts.   Moreover, there is little need for data collection on big
brands, as anyone who needs it can easily obtain information on all
their store locations, and they have the resources to maintain
electronic maps if they think it is useful to their business.