[Talk-GB] Allegedly named motorways

SomeoneElse lists at atownsend.org.uk
Tue Nov 18 23:06:30 UTC 2014

There seem to be quite a few GB motorways in OSM with names, and some of
those names don't look very plausible.  For example, there's:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/37906957

This is the M4 past Heathrow and apparently it is named the "Chiswick to
Langley Special Road".  That name seems to originate here:

http://www.ciht.org.uk/motorway/m4chisslou.htm

It's possible that this name was used as a description of the original
development project, but I've never heard it used as an actual _name_
for this section of M4.

According to "musical chairs", the local authority don't think that it
has a name either:

http://ris.dev.openstreetmap.org/oslmusicalchairs/map?osl_id=846864

There's a similar issue a bit further out, the "Slough-Maidenhead By-Pass":

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/81517663
http://ris.dev.openstreetmap.org/oslmusicalchairs/map?osl_id=18177

Again that sounds like a description; I've never seen that sign on the M4.

The M27 is allegedly the "South Coast Motorway"

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/77680006
http://ris.dev.openstreetmap.org/oslmusicalchairs/map?osl_id=17958

It certainly didn't have signs up saying that the last time that I was
there.

A welsh stretch of M4 is apparently named "Mr":

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/24272190/history

Obviously some names ARE in common use:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/2287

(and a selection of bridges, and also bits of A1M could plausibly still
be thought of as "Great North Road").

The overpass query, by the way, is:

http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/67B

I'm sure there are others out there that I haven't found yet.

Can anyone think of a valid source for "Chiswick to Langley Special
Road", "Slough-Maidenhead By-Pass", "South Coast Motorway", or "Mr" as
names?  If not (and if people agree) I'll change the relevant "name" tag
to "description" (so that nothing gets lost - except for "Mr" which is
surely just a typo).  If any is in any sense a valid name but isn't
signed I can set "name:signed=no" as per
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/32826117 so that at least data
consumers can filter out "not-real" names.

Cheers,

Andy