[Talk-GB] Tagging Residential & Retail zones

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Nov 19 08:48:17 UTC 2014

On 19/11/14 08:37, tony wroblewski wrote:
> How do people normally go about tagging a landuse area which has both
> residential and retail buildings. In many areas buildings often are

Most people seem to tag them as purely retail, but I did once code it as 
using both, with a ; between.

On the other hand, there is a tendency for councils to insist on retail 
units below large blocks of flats, which the developer would have 
preferred to be all housing, so, if you had just one type, the most 
accurate coding would be residential.

The case where I used a ; was only two or three storey, but was part of 
a complete social/affordable estate, and the housing above the shops was 
clearly part of the development as a whole.

> both residential and retail, in that the upstairs areas are rented
> apartments, and the downstairs is shop. I'm not sure how to go about
> correctly tagging the surrounding landuse, but so far I've been doing
> it predominately on what the majority of the buildings are, i.e. If
> the majority of the buildings and shops then the area is retail, etc.
> Tony
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-GB mailing list
> Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gb

More information about the Talk-GB mailing list