[Talk-GB] Suburbs in London/Brum - big edits

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Wed Nov 19 10:07:16 UTC 2014

Hello there,

As somebody who dislikes change, I was slightly horrified to see these
edits:

The user has changed a whole lot of places within London and Birmingham
that were tagged as town / village / hamlet / etc. to place=suburb. He
appears to be following the advice now given on the wiki, that:

"Areas of a town/city should not be tagged with place=town, place=village
or place=hamlet. These should only be used for distinct settlements."

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:place%3Dsuburb

Apart from the fact that I cannot stand it when the work of self-appointed
wiki editors leads to somebody making sweeping edits of others' work, I
also really don't like losing the hierarchy of place implicit in Wimbledon
being marked as a town, Forest Hill a village, Belleden a hamlet, and so
on, and them all just becoming 'suburb'. Apart from the fact that many
places in London were historically towns in their own right, they are often
also regarded as town centres.

But should we swallow this and move to the use of
place=suburb/quarter/neighbourhood?

If so, I'd like to do this properly, instead of the process that this user
has gone through to just make everything 'suburb'.

Regards,
Tom