[Talk-GB] Suburbs in London/Brum - big edits

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Wed Nov 19 16:00:42 UTC 2014

Some general notes:

1. Many people (especially estate agents) add 'town' & 'village' etc to
addresses in an attempt to appear further upmarket & keep prices a bit
higher. Never really works.

2. I agree with the editor's comment that confusion/disagreement about
degrees of suburbs is not a valid reason to tag them incorrectly as towns.

3. Not checked any of the edits specifically but would the name used by
the local authority/council give a reference?

4. Tags not amended 'in ages' makes them ripe for review/update, not set
in stone.

Dave F.
Mapper, not committee member

On 19/11/2014 10:07, Tom Chance wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> As somebody who dislikes change, I was slightly horrified to see these
> edits:
>
> The user has changed a whole lot of places within London and
> Birmingham that were tagged as town / village / hamlet / etc. to
> place=suburb. He appears to be following the advice now given on the
> wiki, that:
>
> "Areas of a town/city should not be tagged with place=town,
> place=village or place=hamlet. These should only be used for distinct
> settlements."
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:place%3Dsuburb
>
> Apart from the fact that I cannot stand it when the work of
> self-appointed wiki editors leads to somebody making sweeping edits of
> others' work, I also really don't like losing the hierarchy of place
> implicit in Wimbledon being marked as a town, Forest Hill a village,
> Belleden a hamlet, and so on, and them all just becoming 'suburb'.
> Apart from the fact that many places in London were historically towns
> in their own right, they are often also regarded as town centres.
>
> But should we swallow this and move to the use of
> place=suburb/quarter/neighbourhood?
>
> If so, I'd like to do this properly, instead of the process that this
> user has gone through to just make everything 'suburb'.
>
> Regards,
> Tom
>

> --
> http://tom.acrewoods.net http://twitter.com/tom_chance