[Talk-GB] Suburbs in London/Brum - big edits

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 08:10:43 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> Linking to local help is what is missing

>From the wiki ? That's easy to solve I think. Even if it is just a text
 "Do change the place-tags in the UK, leave all the tagging as it is now"
without documenting what  the community actually decided :-)
>From within the editor ? harder.

On one hand we try to lower the barrier for new mappers by supplying them
with an easy to use editor. On the other hand we seem to impose all kinds
of additional rules that are country-dependent, and harder to formalize.
Rules that are often not documented, but only available to a local
community aka oldtimers aka inner circle aka secret society :-) Some people
say look at taginfo, other say ask the community, other say do not touch
tags that are older than X years. Ever wondered whether a new mapper knows
about all those tools when she just started to use iD ?
No wonder that people only make a few simple edits and then disappear
again. There is no simple way to go from adding a simple POI somewhere to
learn about more complex tagging schemas without a mentor.

regards