[Talk-GB] Suburbs in London/Brum - big edits

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 08:17:04 UTC 2014

I guess the problem is that quarter/suburb just isn't a natural-english
hierarchy, whereas we do know what town/suburb mean.

What is certainly clear is that distinct town centres in the London suburbs
are not the same as other suburbs, and deserve a separate place type.
place=town has served that function for a while, and appears to be the
local style. It can be changed, but affects-lots-of-users changes like that
are better discussed (by just doing it and waiting for the reaction, if by
no other means).

Someone should add a note to the wiki about the fact that sometimes
place=town is used for major centres in a conurbation. I can't actually see
a better alternative at the moment.Using place=quarter in London is just
asking for further misunderstanding.