[Talk-GB] Great British Public Toilet Map

Harry Harrold harry at neontribe.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 15:22:52 UTC 2014

Hi Phil,

Thanks for taking the trouble to have a look round!

>>> http://greatbritishpublictoiletmap.rca.ac.uk/
> Looking at the map locally I can see that access tags have been
> omitted,  those in Shrewsbury railway station are behind the ticket
> barriers hence should have been tagged as access = customers,  as
> should those inside a local national trust property.

It's a fascinating question, is that, I think.

Apologies if this gets a bit long-winded...

Our record for that toilet is at
http://greatbritishpublictoiletmap.rca.ac.uk/loos/5414a07454c2f7e947d3dbd6

That record is made of multiple reports, each of which we show in a data
panel in the site UI.

The report of the loo we fetch from OSM is shown at
http://gbptm-api.herokuapp.com/reports/5414a074115902773aa8f24d - and it
and the record for the same node at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/256041724 has only the tags amenity
and toilet as you noticed. On the basis of that report alone, we'd show
that toilet as public.

The report we have from the National Rail Enquiries data shown at
http://gbptm-api.herokuapp.com/reports/54653da5115902773aab04e0 has
"access":"public". On the basis of those two reports, we'd show the
toilet as public.

We've since had a couple of anonymous reports through the site UI -
example at
http://gbptm-api.herokuapp.com/reports/546df03827780c020033c3bd - that
do tell us "access":"customers only" for that loo. So at the moment, we
have that toilet tagged for customers only.

I _suspect_ purely on the basis of a gut feel that the toilet is
available to customers or the general public at the decision of the
member of staff crewing the ticket barrier at the time, such that
sometimes a ticketless member of the public will be nodded through to
use the facilities, and sometimes they will not. Again, with no direct
experience of that station, I imagine that we'll get reports of
"access":"customers only" and of "access":"public" from different people
and they will all be accurate for that person, at that time.

In that case - our current behaviour is accurate, I think, in that we
are causing as little disappointment as possible.

Which local national trust property are you looking at, may I ask?

Harry

(Despite Gail's kind and complimentary description, not a developer, not
really...)

--
Harry Harrold

Project director, NeonTribe

Internet user experience designers and programmers

www.neontribe.co.uk
0845 689 0896
0778 900 1625
@harryharrold
Martineau Memorial Hall, 21 Colegate, Norwich, NR3 1BN