[Talk-GB] Suburbs in London/Brum - big edits

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Thu Nov 20 19:29:46 UTC 2014

On 20 November 2014 08:51, Andy Robinson <ajrlists at gmail.com> wrote:
> It’s not likely to be as simple as saying everywhere within a city boundary
> is a suburb. A simple example is the town of Sutton Coldfield which recently
> regained it Royal Town status, Its officially a town in every traditional
> sense yet it is part of Birmingham though devolution of powers back to the
> town from Birmingham is slowly (very slowly) happening with time. There is
> no gap in the conurbation between what is known as Sutton Coldfield and the
> rest of Birmingham. It’s not considered a suburb of Birmingham as it’s a
> town destination in its own right and locals who hail from it would always
> say they were from the town and not the city of Birmingham.

Why don't we follow post towns?

In the Birmingham area, that would give us cities/town/villages
Birmingham, Alcester, Bromsgrove, Halesowen, Cradley Heath, Rowley
Regis, Smethwick, Oldbury, West Bromwich, Sutton Coldfield, Tamworth,
Studyley, Solihull, Henley-in-Arden, and Redditch.

Places like Moseley, Kings Heath, and Bournbrook would become suburbs,
which is quite reasonable in my opinion - these places are clearly
part of the settlement Birmingham.

In most other countries, deciding between village and suburb is a bit
easier because villages have their own town sign (usually functioning
as built-up area sign as well), while suburbs have no such sign. Post
towns in such countries, at least in the Netherlands, are usually
equivalent to signed towns.

-- Matthijs